Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day One in Amsterdam


Good Morning from The Netherlands, friends. It's Day Two of my solo adventure abroad and things are looking up. Be glad you didn't hear from me yesterday, as these weary bones were jet lagged, virus-ridden and overwhelmed. Even so, once I was knocked to the 
ground by some pushy tourists at the airport, and finally made it on the bus after missing the first one, I enjoyed a day of people-watching, as I sipped cups of tea to combat my jet lag, I was quickly joined by a boisterous group of ladies from Switzerland (they asked if they could join me). So sweet they were, going on and on in french and every now and again, translating some of their conversation to include me. In between conversation, I spent all of my time leering at the beautiful dutch families going by on bicycle. Skirts and scarves flowed in the breeze as these lovely, erect women cruised by, with or without children (there are special seats attached for children (as many as 3! and alternately, a little wagon attached to the front where small children can sit). My favorite was all the young women hopping on to the back of men's bikes side-saddle style -- what an adorable way to court someone!


I wandered the city for hours after my tea -- all charming, smooth brick beneath my feet. I happened onto a square with food booths and took down a hamburger. I hesitate to use the word hamburger, as you will no doubt picture a United States hamburger. This particular hamburger, however, was on a bun that was baked like sourdough bread, and was decked out with arugula for God's sake. And I swear the meat had the flavor of a sausage, somehow....It was an amazing find and for 5 euros at that. 

My evening was spent wandering through Vondelpark (oh what magic!) -- a sprawling park with a paved path surrounded by ponds, and lush green, jungle-esque foliage everywhere. Rollerbladers showed off with an assortment of acrobatic tricks and all the families were peddling by on their bikes again -- every one of them laughing and smiling and chatting away. People seem remarkably happy here - and friendly! It turns out there is a restaurant right in the park with a vast terrace of tables outside. I couldn't resist the atmosphere and decided this is where I need to eat dinner. I perused the menu while sipping my wine and saw that the dutch men at the table next to me were devouring some curious fried treats about the size of golf balls. I told the waitress I'd have what they were having and the men overheard and enthusiastically communicated that I would not regret order the "Bitterballen," a traditional Dutch dish. There were six balls and I ate every last one of them, dipped in a heavenly kind of mustard. For dessert, I ordered "Chocolate Three Ways" and I don't even know how to begin to express to you what I put into my mouth. I will tell you that I moaned aloud and closed my eyes right there in the park, because Holy Jesus, it was incredible.  I am definitely going back for more of that heaven tomorrow.  


After the chocolate experience, the body aches from my cold virus settled in again, and I returned to the hotel for my first night's sleep in 24 hours. And between the body aches and my neck throbbing with pain, I have never ever been so thankful for pharmaceuticals in all my life -- and Anne Lamott, too. I drifted off into a syrupy sleep reading Help, Thanks, Wow 
and told God how grateful I am for all these little things that save us. 

Well the church bells are calling and I am slathered in essential oils, filled with more pharmaceuticals, and have concealed the dark circles under my eyes --  I am ready to take on the city.  

Love from Amsterdam!
xoxoxoxo
Shannon

2 comments:

  1. So grateful to hear your voice of your journey via this blog....I look forward to more from "Shansterdam"! Breathe it all in and tiptoe through the glorious sights, sounds and tastes that you encounter. xxxoooo to you!

    ReplyDelete